Monday, February 18, 2019

Thyme to show you a Warm and Wooly Mitten Box


Today I wanted to show you a project 
called 
Warm and Wooly Mitten Box
Design by Cynthia Erekson

We have not had much snow this winter on Cape Cod
 however 
we did get a few inches of the "white stuff" last night. 
So I guess I completed this project just in time to store my mittens and keep them handy.

This design can be found in the February 2011 Issue of Paint Works


This box measures about 15 1/2" X 6 1/2" X 7"


Lets step inside my STUDIO and get started

My Palette

Antique Maroon, Antique Teal, Antique White, Autumn Red, Black Green, Brandy Wine, Buttermilk, Calico Red, Colonial Green, Dark Chocolate, Honey Brown, Lamp Black, Light Buttermilk, Milk Chocolate, Warm White
Lets Paint!


I began by applying Multi Purpose Sealer to all outside surfaces of the box.


I used a large American Decor Brush to apply sealer.
I let the sealer dry then lightly sanded my surface. 
Wipe any dust.

I base coated the outside of the box with 2 coats of Autumn Red.
I base coated the bottom of the box with Lamp Black.
The knob is first base coated with Antique Teal and then Lamp Black.
On the top of the box I measured and drew a line 1 1/2" from all edges to create a wide border.


I randomly dry brushed Calico Red onto the top border and sides of the box.
This brighter color adds more depth to the wood graining that we will be doing.


I painted a coat of Antique Teal over the Autumn Red 
center rectangle on the box cover and lid sides.

Wood Graining Glaze
Mix a glaze with a quarter size puddle of Black Green, 3 drops of Lamp Black, 6 quarter size puddles of  Glaze Medium 1 drop of Black Green and 3 good squirts of Extender.




Press the glaze on with the broad flat side of a sponge brush.

The glaze should just cover the base coat and look slightly bubbly.
I worked quickly with my palette knife held in a vertical position
I used a press and lift motion repeatedly in the glaze all along sides of box lid. 


Lid Center Rectangle
I used the sponge brush to press glaze onto the center rectangle of the lid.
I then pulled my graining tool quickly thru the glaze.
I wiped my tool on a paper towel and once again pulled the tool thru the glaze. 


Lid Outer Border
I pressed the glaze onto the entire outer border.
I again used my palette knife in a press and lift motion all along the outside border.
I moved quickly around the lid and angled the knife at the corners.


Let dry completely before proceeding!


Close up of the cover grain work.


The sides of the box are wood grained as well in much the same manner.


I measured and taped off a 1/2" border around the top of the box.
I used a small stencil brush to "dry brush" on the boarder with Lamp Black.


I measured and applied a 1/2" wide Lamp Black border 
around the lid top as well as the top and bottom edges of the box.


Side view.


I also measured and taped off the 1/8" border on lid rectangle. 
I again used a small stencil brush to dry brush this border with Honey Brown.


I painted the inside of the box Lamp Black.


I used a small stencil brush  to dry brush Lamp Black along the edges of the box lid.


I used an awl to punch random sections of the box creating groupings of wormholes.


I also used a rasp to remove some paint from the corners and edges of the box to distress them.


In order to mellow the color of the box some 
I mixed Honey Brown with some Staining and Antiquing Medium


I brushed the "antique mixture" on to the box to tone the color down.


I transferred the oval design to the box and base coated it with Honey Brown.
Once that area had dried I used a horizontal motion and lightly sanded the area.


Next I painted the sheep.


I used a small detail brush to line the branches, leaves and other tiny details.


I added the lettering 
WARM AND WOOLY MITTENS
AND 
 the date
1846 
to the side of the box lid.


"These sweet and peaceful sheep were inspired by a piece of Early American chalk ware. These 18th and 19th century figurines were molded from plaster of Paris and painted in a primitive style. It is thought that the designs were taken from decorative Staffordshire figures and other forms of pottery  popular at the time. " 
~ Cynthia Erekson



I covered the oval area and lightly spattered the box with Lamp Black

Spattering
Pour a quarter size puddle of paint on your palette. 
Dip your stencil brush in H20 and dab on paper towel. 
Swirl your brush in the paint and use a palette knife to flick the bristles, pulling them toward you with your palette knife.



I used a lettering brush to do the checks around the oval center in Black Green.
For easy spacing, place one check at each end, one at top center and one at bottom center.
Place another check halfway between each of these checks. Continue to divide the available space in each section in 1/2 . The checks fit perfectly!


I applied several coats of Dura Clear Varnish to complete my project.



Rosemary Reynolds and DecoArt
provided me with the paints
 and 
products to complete this project as part of their 

Helping Artist
and 
Blogger Outreach Programs






Thank you DecoArt!


I hope you have enjoyed watching me paint my
Warm and Wooly Mitten Box



Happy Painting!

Lynn

1 comment:

  1. Oh my! I Love this mitten box Lynn. You always do such Beautiful work!

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete

Keep those brushes flying!
Lynn Barbadora @ Painting Thyme Needfuls

"Life is a great BIG canvas and you should throw all the paint you can on it!"
~ Danny Kaye

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...