Tuesday, January 10, 2017

It's thyme to show you "Red Bell Bakers" a Christmas ornament I painted



Today I wanted to show you another Christmas ornament that I painted
called
Red Bell Bakers

Design 
is by
Cynthia Erekson

I got a little busy painting before Christmas
and 
got behind on posting all my projects!

This was a quick and easy project to do!
It is especially fun to do IF you know a BAKER you can give it too!


My Palette



Camel, Honey Brown, Marigold, Milk Chocolate, Fawn, Country Red, Lamp Black, Plantation Pine, Black Green, Antique Green, Dusty Rose, Burnt Sienna, Antique White , Buttermilk, Warm White



The surface was two separate pieces.

Frame and ornament.


I began by base coating one side of the frame with Country Red using a medium size stencil brush.
I loaded the brush and pounced on a heavy coat of paint to create texture.


I squirted two nickel size puddles of Honey Brown and Camel in the center of the ornament.


I used a "press and lift" motion with the flat side of a sponge brush working the paint out towards the edges. This will blend and mottle the colors. While the paint is still wet, squirt out 5 "pencil eraser" size puddles of Marigold. I used the same dirty sponge brush to "press and lift" over the surface to blend the Marigold into the colors. The end result should be a rich Butterscotch color with a bit of mottling.


Now back to the frame!

Next I mixed a woodgraining glaze 
using 
Lamp Black
 and

To do this I squirt a dime size puddle of Lamp Black on my palette.  Around this puddle I squirted six dime size puddles of Clear Glaze. I mixed this well with my palette knife.
I then painted a heavy coat of glaze onto the frame. I then laid a 2oz. bottle of paint on its side and rolled it over the glaze. The "rolling" should create a slight pattern in your glaze. I then loaded a 3/4" flat brush with glaze. Use the chisel edge to tap around the edge of the frame. This will create distinct lines over the faint glaze pattern.

Let this dry well!


Now to paint the BAKER!


I like to use the Silver Ultra Mini detail brushes for a project like this!


I applied Matte Varnish to all the painted surfaces.
For a sparkle of "sugar" on the spoon and cookie I sprinkled on Glamour Dust while the varnish was still wet.



I threaded some thin black ribbon through the Red Bell


I glued the ribbon loop and the RED BELL between the frame and surface.



I found the perfect gift box for the ornament!



DecoArt provided me with the paints to complete this project as part of their 
Helping Artist and Blogger Outreach Programs.

Thank you Rosemary Reynolds and DecoArt!







I hope you have enjoyed watching me paint Red Bell Baker!

Happy Painting !

Lynn


No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep those brushes flying!
Lynn Barbadora @ Painting Thyme Needfuls

"Life is a great BIG canvas and you should throw all the paint you can on it!"
~ Danny Kaye

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...