Friday, February 16, 2018

Thyme to say that Life is Better when your 're Painting


It's no secret
 that 
I LOVE to paint!

I will paint on just about ANY surface.



It's easy to do when there are so many products out there to create with.
Today I wanted to show you an apron that I painted.
Often I just use "portions" of a design to create a whole new project.

I used a design
 by 
Judy Westegaard CDA 
to complete this project

I modified the design to fit my surface .

The design is part of
 Judy's
  Art Studio Fun Collection
from her
Chalk It Up Book

I have painted a few projects from this book.
You can see those projects by clicking on the links below.

Life is Better When Your Painting 
can be found

Creative Minds Are Seldom Tidy
can be found



My Palette
DecoArt Traditions Acrylic Paint

Burnt Umber, Carbon Black, Dioxazine Purple,Hansa Yellow, Medium Beige, Medium White, Napthol Red, Perinone Orange, Prussian Blue Hue, Raw Sienna, Sapphire Blue, Teal Green, Titanium White, Ultramarine Blue, Yellow Oxide



I began by first
  washing and drying 
the apron to remove the sizing.


Next I cut a piece of 
waxed freezer coated paper 
a little larger than the area that I was going to paint.

I used a warm iron , no steam 
to adhere the paper
 to the back side of the apron
under the area that I was going to be painting.


I then used white graphite paper to transfer the pattern to my apron.



I use a Sewline Tracer Roller Ball Pen to transfer designs to fabric.
* It won't tear your line drawing or graphite paper.





I used a white chalk pencil 
to darken any lines that needed darkening
 so I could see the design better.


I added a few drops of Fabric Medium to my paints.



When painting on FABRIC you need to be careful of a few things!

Paint bleeding is one of those things!


I like to use Moon Brushes for this reason
I use a very dry brush 
and 
first outline the area to be painted
 with the 
chisel edge of the
Moon Brush


I then use my Ultra Round brushes to fill in the area. 
I am very careful about the amount  of water I use. 
Less is more!
You do not want to saturate your fabric!
I like to build the intensity of color gradually.


I always keep a Tide Pen handy when working on fabric.
They are good to get rid of a tiny smudge that may happen if you catch it immediately.



I painted several of the brush handles first.


I am working on the bristles.


It can be a little more difficult to shade on fabric.
BUT
It can be achieved by dry brushing!
I used either my
Moon Brushes or Stain- It
brushes for the dry brush shading.


The first 3 brushes are complete!


I am working on the remaining brushes.


I have finished painting all the brushes.


I am working on the palette knife.


I am now working on the pencil.


Close up view.


After I had completed my painting I put a 
clean white cloth 
over the design 
and 
ironed it to set the paint.


Does it look like you can grab one of those brushes out of the pocket?


My completed apron.



Close up of design.



Rosemary Reynolds and DecoArt 
provided me with the paints to complete this project as part of their
Helping Artist
 and
DecoArt Blogger Outreach Programs









Thank you DecoArt!



I hope you have enjoyed watching me paint this project!

Because.......

Life REALLY is better when you are painting!




Happy Painting !

Lynn



5 comments:

  1. Lynn, thank you for taking the time to show us how to properly paint on fabric and also the tips you provided. This is a world of painting that I’m just starting to discover and need any help that I can get. Are Tradition paints different from the regular DecoArt line of paints?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DecoArt® Traditions™ Mediums and specialty products were developed to expand the capabilities of our paint line. Traditions Mediums allow our paint to perform like watercolors, oils, and acrylics, giving them unmatched versatility. The desire is to make mediums that allow Traditions paints to emulate older painting styles as well as today's market trends.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I found the apron in a speciality shop on Cape Cod that has all kinds of kitchen gadgets, cooking supplies etc.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Keep those brushes flying!
Lynn Barbadora @ Painting Thyme Needfuls

"Life is a great BIG canvas and you should throw all the paint you can on it!"
~ Danny Kaye

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...