I have gotten so behind with my blogging!
The truth is it has been one long spring / early summer
as I have been sick with pneumonia for nearly 8 weeks.
The good news is after 3 separate courses of antibiotics I am finally starting to feel better.
Let's step inside my STUDIO to see what I have been painting.
Today I wanted to show you a project called
Design by Lynne Andrews
My surface is a wood cut out measuring 23" high x 9 wide
Buttermilk, Flesh Tone, Black, Burnt Umber, Country Red, White, Colonial Green, Bittersweet Chocolate, Burnt Sienna, Hauser Medium Green, Raw Sienna, Plantation Pine, Antique Gold Deep, Mustard Seed, Golden Straw, Antique Gold
I prepared my surface by lightly sanding it.
I then sealed the surface
After the sealer was dry I then base coated the surface and edges with Buttermilk.
I then transferred the pattern on to the base coated surface.
I began by painting the face and beret.
I used Lynn Andrews new floater series brushes and stipplers.
The large brush you see in the picture is a Jack Richeson Domed Sash Brush.
I added a White wash over the Buttermilk already on the beard and mustache.
I used my domed sash brush to mop and blend.
When dry I floated around the outside of the mustache with Burnt Umber.
The painting that the ARTIST is holding starts with a Buttermilk background.
The easel is Burnt Umber highlighted with Buttermilk.
I did a wash of Colonial Green in the upper left corner,
mopping downward as I went along to extend the color.
The centers of the sunflowers are Burnt Umber.
I mopped them heavily so they would appear muted.
Next I added a wash of Plantation Pine leaves and stems to the ARTISTS painting.
I did this lightly just to imply they are there.
The petals on the sunflowers are Antique Gold with a touch of Mustard Seed.
The diamonds are a wash of Soft Black.
The coat is washed with Burnt Sienna.
I worked one section at a time on the coat rather than trying to paint the whole coat at once.
I mopped heavily with each wash.
I dried after each wash.
The shading on the coat is done with Bittersweet Chocolate.
Highlighted areas of the coat are done with the #8 scumbler and Buttermilk.
The fur on the coat is first base coated with Buttermilk.
If you notice the collar I used the #8 scumbler to stipple the edges of the fur to give it a
The fur is then washed with Raw Sienna where shading would occur.
I added a little Golden Straw randomly on the fur.
I added some White highlights to brighten areas.
The fur on the collar, cuffs and bottom of coat are done in the same manner.
Once I had completed all the fur areas I used the tip of a #4 floater to add individual lines of Buttermilk to make the fur edges even more fuzzy.
I have also painted the mittens.
I have also started painting all the crows Lamp Black.
I added White feathers to the wings.
The eyes and beaks are Mustard Seed.
The feet and other fine details are drawn in with a Rotring Pen.
I have now started painting the brushes in the ARTIST'S hand.
There are at least 15 paint brushes to paint on this surface along with many other small details!
Working on the paint brushes in the ARTIST'S hands.
6 brushes painted so far!
I have started painting the basket and its contents.
I have painted the centers of the sunflowers and stems.
I am working on the black check cloth.
I am working on the sunflowers in the basket.
Close up view of basket.
I created the texture on the basket by using a graining tool.
I am now adding some shading detail to basket and sunflowers.
The wagon bottom is painted Colonial Green.
When dry I added alternating checks with Lamp Black.
The oval is painted Buttermilk.
Shading around the oval is done with Burnt Sienna.
Shading on the coat around the pockets and next to fur is done with Bittersweet Chocolate.
Close up of basket so far.
I have added the wheels to the wagon.
I later decided they were a bit small and enlarged them.
I am continuing to paint the brushes, rag, tubes of paint in the wagon.
I have transferred the lines for the paint rag in the wagon.
I used Colonial Green for the paint rag.
The rag is shaded lightly with Lamp Black.
I transferred the lettering to the oval shape.
I will use the Rotring Pen to write the word create.
I am painting the bottles of paint and roll of paper towels.
I am now painting the brushes in the basket.
So much detail!
Close up of basket.
I still have more paint brushes to add!
I have finished painting the remaining brushes.
After looking at this picture I decided that the wheels on the wagon
looked a bit small so I will fix that!
I enlarged the wheels on the wagon a little.
I like them better!
I applied several coats of
once my project was completed.
I have attached the base to the ARTIST
I took pliers and cut the handles on several old paint brushes to make them shorter.
I took an empty plastic paint storage cup and poured some Mustard Seed into it.
I tilted the base of the plastic cup
so the paint was spilling out of it and down the front of the wood base of the Santa.
I attached the cup with glue that I had spread on the base.
When the paint reached the bottom of the base I put my blow dryer on a low setting
dried the paint to keep it from spreading.
I glued another plastic paint storage cup to the right side of the base.
I added the paint brushes to the cup.
I had dipped some of the brushes in various colors of paint
allowed them to dry completely first.
I squirted a small puddle of Country Red paint in front of the paint cup
let it spill over the side.
I stopped the drip same as before with my blow dryer.
Back view of the ARTIST
Rosemary Reynolds and DecoArt
provided me with the paints to complete this project as part of their
Blogger Outreach Programs
Thank you DecoArt!
I hope you have enjoyed watching me paint the ARTIST!