Wednesday, June 27, 2018

Thyme to show you a Sailor Boy Banner

Can you believe that it will be 4th of July this weekend?

I wanted to paint something Red, White & Blue.




Today I am going to show you a project 
called 
Sailor Boy Banner

 Design 
by
Cynthia Erekson


Lets step inside the STUDIO and get started!

My Palette 

Deep Midnight Blue, Uniform Blue, Heritage Brick. Antique Maroon, Khaki Tan, Warm Beige, Tomato Red, Antique White, Buttermilk, Light Buttermilk, Bleached Sand, Antique Gold, Blue Harbor, Dusty Rose, Terra Coral, Lamp Black, Milk Chocolate, Burnt Umber





I began by first lightly sanding my piece then removing the dust. 
I then used a 2" sponge brush to apply a textured coat of Deep Midnight Blue


I then transferred the main elements of the design to the surface.


I base coated the hat with Antique White.

I used my 
Moon Brushes 
to dry brush both the 
highlighted 
and 
shaded areas.
I highlighted heavily to separate
 the brim from the crown, 
along the face and back edge 
using 
Khaki Tan
I used Bleach Sand to dry brush the highlights in.


I also like to use Ultra Rounds  for shading and highlighting.


You can achieve the depth of color you want by applying several washes .


Let each wash dry completely before apply the next so you won't lift the paint!
I keep a small dryer on my table to quicken drying times.


Working on the face and hair.


I have painted the necktie with Heritage Brick. 
I shaded with Antique Maroon and highlighted with Tomato Red.
I am now working on the collar.


I have painted the cuffs, shirt and added the stripes and star to collar.



Finishing details!

I used
Varnish to finish my piece.


The "Kit" to this project came with a burlap flag banner.
However I decided to make a few changes to the project to personalize it.


I began by first cutting a strip of fabric from some heavy muslin.


I then soaked the fabric my 
"grunge mix"
to age it.

*** You can find my grunge mix recipe at the top of the page under the RECIPE tab.***

or
Click 

I usually soak several pieces of fabric when I do this so I have it on hand for other projects.


I then dry my "grungy fabric" on a cookie sheet in a 200 degree oven.
Watch carefully!


I printed out the words OLD GLORY on my computer using 
Avery Fabric Transfer Paper.
Follow directions on the package for ironing on your fabric.


Close up of my grungy banner!



I decided to attach the burlap flag banner
 to an old flag pole that I had
 instead of the dowel that it came on.
Are you ready to see it?


I attached everything to a grapevine wreath.



Rosemary Reynolds and DecoArt 
provided me with the paints to complete this project 
as part of their 
Helping Artist and Blogger Outreach Programs.

Thank you DecoArt!







I hope you have enjoyed watching me paint
Sailor Boy Banner!


Happy Painting!

Lynn



2 comments:

  1. That’s it ....I need to make this! Thank I Lynn for inspiration and the grunge recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Keep those brushes flying!
Lynn Barbadora @ Painting Thyme Needfuls

"Life is a great BIG canvas and you should throw all the paint you can on it!"
~ Danny Kaye

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...