Sunday, October 22, 2017

Thyme to show you my "Ladies Home Companion" Pincushion Box.


I have gotten a little behind on my blogging lately
 but that doesn't mean I haven't been painting!
Lets step inside the STUDIO to see what I have been working on!





Today
 I wanted to show you a sweet project called 
Ladies Home Companion

It is a wonderful small pin cushion box .

Design by 
Cynthia Erekson



My Palette

Lamp Black, Traditional Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, True Ochre, Delane's Dark Flesh, Honey Brown, Burnt Umber, Khaki Tan, Brandywine

Lets Paint!




I began by first sanding and sealing my piece.



I often mix a (1) to (1) ratio of my base coat color and All Purpose Sealer.

I painted the base of the box with Lamp Black. 
After that dried I taped the base off so I could paint the remaining sides of the box.



I painted the sides of the box using the broad flat side of a 2" sponge brush with Burnt Umber.



I used a "press and lift" method to cover all sides of the box with Burnt Umber. 
This method creates a nice textured eggshell surface to paint on.


Next I measured 3/4" from the base
I drew a light pencil line around. 
I applied masking tape leaving the 3/4" border exposed.
I used a small stencil brush to pounce Khaki Tan onto this 3/4" border. 
When dry I removed the tape.



I traced the horizon line on each side of the box.

I used a Stain-It brush to paint the ground area.
I loaded the brush with Honey Brown then stroked it on my palette.
I use the chisel edge of the brush to establish the hilltops.
I then layed the brush on its side and pulled color down from the hilltops into the ground area. 
There should not be much paint on your brush!
You want the textured surface you created with your base coat to show!


Stain-It and Moon brushes are great  for dry brushing details.


I repeated painting the ground area on all 4 sides of the box.


I transferred the main details of the design and began by painting the buildings.


I then painted the girl and added the clothing details.


I then added the cart on the next side.


I like to use Silver Micron Mini Brushes on a piece such as this with tiny details




Close up of sides.



Adding foliage to the trees.



All line work is done with thinned paint.
I add all my dots with a stylus after I'm finished painting everything else.
Let dry completely!


Deco Art has many choices of varnishes to use to complete your project.
I like to use the
  Dura Clear Matte Varnish.



Before I varnished 
I distressed some of the edges and corners 
of my piece by gently
filing with a rasp.
I sanded the "aged" areas and wiped off the dust.
You can tint any bare wood areas with a wash of Burnt Umber. 

I applied 2 coats of varnish to my piece.

Let dry thoroughly between coats!


Next I gathered my supplies to complete my project.


I cut a 18" piece of cloth measuring tape
I applied Arlene's Super Tacky Glue 
to the center 
of
 the Khaki Tan border 
at the bottom of the box.
I carefully pressed the cloth tape around the sides of the box, 
centering it as I went along.


I packed the inside of the box with stuffing. 


The stuffing should come to about a 1/2" from top of box.


I cut a 8" square piece of fabric
The fabric I used was old curtains that I had in "my stash"
The curtains had "faded" but the fabric was still good for crafting!
It adds to the vintage look of the piece!


I placed a handful of stuffing on the 8" square of fabric. 
I tightly folded over the the opposite side overlapping the edges
I then folded in the remaining sides of fabric until I had a tight puffy bundle.
I applied glue to the inner edges of the box and pressed the "bundle" into the box.


You can continue to rearrange it neatly until you are satisfied with the look before your glue dries.



I added some embellishments to the top of the pin cushion.


I took rusty pins and added some old buttons.
I had little wood spools that I wrapped thread around then I attached them to the pin cushion.



Rosemary Reynolds
and
  DecoArt
 provided 
me with the paints to complete this project as part of their

Helping Artist 
and 
Blogger Outreach Programs







Thank you DecoArt!



I hope you have enjoyed watching me paint my

Ladies Home Companion project!

Happy Painting !
Lynn


3 comments:

  1. beautifully created! Love it Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the look of the entire project Lynn. It is beautiful and really does give the appearance of a treasured keepsake. Great work as ever,

    ReplyDelete

Keep those brushes flying!
Lynn Barbadora @ Painting Thyme Needfuls

"Life is a great BIG canvas and you should throw all the paint you can on it!"
~ Danny Kaye

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...