Friday, May 26, 2017

Thyme to show you a Seaside Santa Dummy Board


We have seen some warmer weather here on 
Cape Cod 
but
Mother Nature still hasn't decided if she wants it to be warm or cold!


The rainy days give me a chance to get some painting done.


Lets head into the STUDIO to see what I have been working on.


Today I wanted to show you a project 
called 
Seaside Santa

The surface piece measures 30" H x 11" W. It is cut from 3/4" pine.

The fish decoys are about 7" x 1 3/4".

Design by Cynthia Erekson



My Palette



Dove Gray, Medium Flesh, Midnight Blue, Honey Brown, Milk Chocolate, Lamp Black, Heritage Brick, Light Buttermilk, Neutral Gray, Shading Flesh, Wedgewood Blue

Let's get started!



I began by sealing my piece with Americana Decor Stain Blocker/ Sealer


As you can see my surface piece had a few large wood knots in it. 
If you don't seal a piece like this properly you risk the chance of these spots 
resurfacing and discoloring 
your finished piece.





I applied the stain blocker with a brush 
and 
let it dry well before proceeding to the next step.




I applied a coat of 
first before base coating my 
fish decoys .

I mixed Midnite Blue with Lamp Black to create "Deep Navy Blue".
 this was used on the coat and fish. 

The other 2 fish were base coated with Light Buttermilk and Heritage Brick.




I added the designs to the fish and distressed them.
I transferred the main details of the pattern to my surface using graphite paper.


I painted the hat and sleeve trim with the "Deep Navy Blue" mix I made.


The coat trim is finished.

I will now start working on the face and beard.


I base coated the beard with Neutral Grey
I let that dry then dipped a stencil brush into the Neutral Grey first then Light Buttermilk.
I circled my brush on a paper towel to dry the bristles slightly.





I pounced the textured color onto the beard with the stencil brush leaving about 1/8" of Gray showing around the edges. I allowed a lot of the Neutral Gray to show thru the textured color.


I have transferred the mustache. 
I used the same stencil brush but added a bit more Light Buttermilk to make it lighter. 
 I based the mittens with Honey Brown and shaded them with Milk Chocolate. 
I often use a Large Ultra Round Brush for shading and a Maxine Mop.


The Lowell Cornell Ultra Rounds come in a variety of sizes 
and 
hold a lot of WATER which make them perfect for floating color!



I have base coated the pail.


I have now started shading the coat with Neutral Gray.


I added the stars on the hat band with a stencil.


I am now starting to work on the eyes. 


I base coated the eyes first with Light Buttermilk. 
The iris are painted with Wedgewood Blue
The pupil is Lamp Black.


I decided to add some wood buttons to the coat. 
I painted the button Honey Brown.


I am now working on shading the facial features,

I like to use Silver Ultra Micron Mini brushes for this.



I am working on the eyebrows now.


I am now starting to work on the beard.


Close up of the face and beard.


I painted in the line to connect the buttons with Honey Brown.

I sealed my Santa and fish with several coats
 of 

I like to use the MATTE but it does come in a variety of finishes.

On a large piece such as this I often pour a small puddle of varnish in the center of my surface. 
I then work with a large varnish brush spreading the varnish towards the outer edges of the surface. 

It is important to let each coat of varnish dry completely before adding the next coat to avoid a cloudy look.


I apply additional coats of varnish in the same manner but I use a sponge.


"Deep Navy Blue" mix I made using Midnite Blue and Lamp Black (1:1)


I painted the centers of my wood buttons with the "Deep Navy Blue" mix. 
I used my drill and a small bit to drill holes on either end of the 
Honey Brown lines I painted that will connect the buttons.


I used  thin rusty wire as "thread" for my wood buttons. 
I used pliers to cut the wire then I "threaded" it thru the holes on the buttons. 
I left enough wire to secure the buttons to my surface from the back. 
I trimmed the excess wire once I secured the buttons. 


I lined up the buttons on the coat. 
I attached them with the wire thru the holes I had drilled.
I added larger buttons to the cuffs of the coat.


I attached screw eyes to each of the fish noses. 
I cut about a 16" piece of rusty wire to thread the fish together.


I drilled a hole and attached the fish to my surface. 
I left some "loose ends" of the rusty wire at the top part of his hand.


Rosemary Reynolds and DecoArt 
provided the products and paint to complete this project as part of their 
Helping Artist and DecoArt Blogger Programs.
Thank you DecoArt!







I hope you have enjoyed watching me paint my 
Seaside Santa Dummy Board.

A bit of history regarding "Dummy Boards"

"Dummy Boards" were first brought to this country during colonial times. They were cut from flat boards. These whimsical figures were painted to resemble men, women and children and sometimes plants or animals. They were freestanding and were often placed near a fire place with their backs to the wall and served to "provide a presence" in an empty room.

Happy Painting !

Lynn



4 comments:

  1. He is just MAGICAL, Lynn! You did such a wonderful job on him! I love him so much! Thanks for showing us the process - that way we got to see all the beautiful details! Happy Painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am becoming a lover of all things Cynthia, thanks to you. Love all her designs and you paint them beautifully. Love all your extra touches like the wire thread.

    ReplyDelete

Keep those brushes flying!
Lynn Barbadora @ Painting Thyme Needfuls

"Life is a great BIG canvas and you should throw all the paint you can on it!"
~ Danny Kaye