Thursday, June 2, 2011

Thyme to explain where I've been.....and thyme on Cape Cod

Its been awhile since my last post so thought I would
explain why I've been
MIA
I just returned from a fabulous trip to Italy with my husband, son Andrew and daughter Julie!


                                             I was gone for over 2 1/2 weeks.....it was the perfect trip
BUT
it had a not so perfect ending
          For quite some time now I've had difficulties with a pinched nerve and cyst on my spine....
it was a grueling trip, we visited family in
 Parma and Fano.

We then met up with a tour group in Milan and visited San Marino, Urbino,Riccione, Florence, Tuscany, Cinque Terre, San Gimigimano,Sienna, and Rome


I am truly thankful to have at last arrived safely home from Italy.
We were scheduled to come home on Sunday the 22 . We never made it home......we boarded the plane @ 12:30 PM and ended up sitting on the runway for about 3 1/2 hours due to engine failure. After they FINALLY decided the plane would not be able to leave the ground we were allowed to leave the plane....it then took us another 2+ hours to go to baggage claim collect luggage...several in our group had serious luggage damage even tho the plane never left the ground... we were placed on a bus and headed to a hotel by almost 6:30 PM....only to have to repeat it all again the next day. On Monday we left the hotel in Rome before 9 AM and the group headed to the airport.....we were faced with mass confusion at the ticket counter as we were a group of over 30 people. We boarded the plane as scheduled and flew from Rome to Munich which was a one hour flight. We then changed plane in Munich and boarded the flight to Boston which was about an 8 hour flight. But about 2 hours into the flight I experienced severe leg swelling and pain from a pinched nerve and cyst on my spine......I got up and tried to walk around but no relief........the crew aboard Lufthunsa were wonderful and did everything possible to try to get me comfortable.....unfortunately I became ill and lost consciousness aboard the flight. I will forever be grateful to the skilled crew aboard the plane They quickly were able to move me to the tail of the plane and lie me down. An announcement was made asking for any medical professionals aboard to respond to the medical emergency. Luckily there were 2 doctors, a couple EMT"S and Nurse Practitioner aboard. Because of my symptoms, vital signs and semi conscious state they were concerned that I needed immediate medical attention for a possible blood clot or heart attack...Landing at Logan Airport was still almost 4+ hours away ...the decision was made to divert the plane to St John Newfoundland where and ambulance was waiting for me..Peter came with me but Andrew and Julz remained on the plane.....with my SIL, BIL and the rest of the group..The plane was grounded for over 2 hours as the rescue personnel came aboard and prepared to transport me to hospital..customs and security had to come aboard...I stayed the night in the hospital there undergoing numerous tests...Luckily I did not have a blood clot or heart attack. The many hours I had spent on the plane certainly contributed to what happened. I was d/c early yesterday AM and despite UNBELIEVABLE red tape with customs, security etc. I was cleared to board another plane ..we flew 1 hour 20 minutes to Halifax and changed planes and connected with a flight from Halifax to Boston. We arrived in Boston at about 5:30 PM . A very long exhausting day. Andrew picked us up. While I don't really remember much of what happened I am so very grateful for all the prayers, well wishes and all that everyone did for me. I am most grateful to Peter, Andrew and Julz and my family on the plane for never leaving my side.......I can only imagine the scare I gave them. I
I have been at my Cape home per Dr's orders for some R&R
I am slowly starting to feel like myself again. I've been doing a little gardening and hopefully now I can get back to painting!

Since I have been at the Cape I have finally had the chance to meet a fellow blogger
and
 FB Friend
Lana Testa

from
 Winterberry Primitives
Lana and her husband Dave
invited Pete and I over to
their wonderful
PRIM Cape Cod Home
for dinner
Lana and I had been chatting for months on FB....so seems like I had known her forever.....
Oh...the laughs we had, not to mention the wonderful dinner in the company of what I hope will be good friends.....our hubs got along splendidly.......they even enjoyed some "quiet time" on the couch after dinner! LOL!
Hugs,
Lynn

9 comments:

  1. OH MY!!! I am SO glad you are OK!!! What a scary time, I can't imagine, I wonder if all the walking you did set something off with the pinched nerve or all the sitting (on the plane)? Your slideshow is beautiful and I'm sorry your wonderful trip had such a bad finish but glad your OK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear you ok and what a trip and experience. I think a summer on the cape is just what you need;) How was the weather in your area? I could see the clouds in the distance and we got a rain burst for a few minutes and that was it.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lynn, I'm glad your home and taking it easy and enjoying the Cape. It's so true when they say there is no place like home!! Hugs Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Lynn, I am glad to see you are safe at home and feel sorry for your incredible adventure . I really hope you had a great time in Italy even because you visited a part our best town.
    hugs
    simona

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOME SWEET HOME !!!
    Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Italy and I hope you are better now.

    Now, it's thyme to paint !!!

    Have a nice week end,
    Cristina
    (Verona - Italy)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, you are finally in your home!!!
    I'm glad to hear that despite all you liked Italy!!
    Hope you're better now. Happy weekend!!
    hugs
    Milvi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! It is wonderful to hear that you are doing better now!!!! And hopefully continue with your rest and relaxation and you are feeling better and better each day!!

    Blessings & Aloha!
    ...catching up on some blog reading and visiting ...last week was busy, so didnt even manage to get my "one post a week" post up last week. ...Happy to be here! (And I enjoyed your photo slideshow of beautiful photos.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like quite an ordeal, but I'm so glad you made it home safely! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sono contenta che vi sia piaciuta l'ITALIA ed i suoi prodotti enogastronomici.
    Tilli

    ReplyDelete

Keep those brushes flying!
Lynn Barbadora @ Painting Thyme Needfuls

"Life is a great BIG canvas and you should throw all the paint you can on it!"
~ Danny Kaye

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...