Tuesday, August 12, 2014

It's THYME to show you an armoir make over using AMERICANA DECOR Chalky Finish Paints

As a member of the DecoArt Helping Artist Program

it is
fun to receive a box of wonderful supplies
to experiment with

Today I wanted to show you just how easy it is to transform a piece 
give it a whole new look!

This is an old armoir that once belonged to my husbands uncle.
I rescued it from my husbands grandmothers basement over 20 years ago.
It was painted ORANGE  at the time!
I stripped it down to it's "natural state" .
That is how it has remained all these years!
 It is not a solid wood, rather a veneer.
Because of its age there has been a lot of 
chipping and breaking off of the veneer 
along the bottom.
It would be difficult to repair so I decided to paint it once again.

Always use the 
when working on a project
to ensure

I used
AMERICANA DECOR Chalky Finish Paints 
for this make over.
I painted the entire piece first using

When dry I then painted over the 
which is a 

I then WET sanded my piece using a sanding brick as pictured

In doing this I exposed some of the 
CARBON color 
that I originally applied to show thru.
This process gives your piece a prim distressed look.

Now for the 
DecoArt has a line of Varnishes and Waxes to complete your piece.

I finished my piece by using

When the CLEAR wax was dry I rubbed on some
AMERICANA DECOR Deep Brown Wax in areas 
to tone down the BRIGHT BLUE

and to further distress my piece.

paints are a fun, easy way to change the look of a piece and give it new life!

To learn more about all the wonderful products that DecoArt offers
vist them


Tuesday, July 15, 2014

It is thyme to show you how to transform an old bathroom vanity into a NEW one using Americana DECOR Chalky Finish Paints

You can easily re-purpose just about anything with a little imagination 
 some paint!

Instead of buying a new vanity I decided to transform it
 with a little help
 from my husband

My husband took the doors off of our "oak finish" vanity along with the top and sink.
He resurfaced the vanity right over the existing surface with beadboard.

This is the shell of the vanity.

I designed a new top for the vanity 
my husband made it

I first painted the vanity using
Chalky Finish Paint

Be sure you purchase the best brushes 
tools you can to insure an awesome finish!
Deco Art  carries a line of brushes for their chalky finish paints, waxes and varnishes.

After the 
Romance Chalky Finish Paint
was dry I painted right over it with
Carbon Chalky Finish Paint

I then WET SAND using a FINE sanding brick.
This allows your base coat ( the red) to show thru.
You want to sand in areas that would normally show "wear" 
to give your piece a primitive look

I lighly sanded the doors where the knobs would go
in a few areas on the top and sides

The RED paint will show thru that you painted first.

It is now thyme to finish your piece.
offers both 
Creme Waxes or Varnishes
 to complete your projects.
The choice is yours!

I used 
Clear Creme Wax
 to complete this project

I bought a COPPER sink and Black Oil Rubbed Bronze faucet for my vanity

My husband installed the sink and faucet

I added Black Wrought Iron hinges and painted wood knobs.

This was a FUN project to do!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial !

To learn more about ALL the amazing products 
has to offer visit their website


Thursday, June 12, 2014

It is THYME for the Spirit of Summer

Spirit of Summer
is a design 
Artist Kim Hogue CDA

I painted my design
on a large old wood tray

that I found in a thrift shop

This is a rather large tray measuring 25 1/2" x 15"

I have a Kopykake projector that I use for enlarging patterns

I divided and cut the pattern pieces and enlarged separately
so as to better adapt the design to my surface

My surface is now prepped and base coated!

Let's paint!!!
I use 

Color photos by Kim of design included in packet

Kim Hogue is considered the "Queen of DETAIL"

Her packets include very lengthy instuctions 

but when followed step by step

her designs are not difficult to paint!

Many of Kim's patterns call for sanding sticks

They are wonderful for distressing!!!

I used painters tape when painting the cottage. 
When taping you need to be very careful of creating
"ridges" with your paint.
You can also use post-it notes to paint straight lines.

Adding detail to the cottage

Close-up of cottage detail 
I used the sanding sticks on the cottage to give it a worn old look

It is always good to stand back from your design periodically 
especially a large one to look at it

Adding the roof details

Roof almost completed!

Adding the flag bunting

Lets stand back and take another look!

I'm loving it! It is really starting to come to life!

 And now to paint the duck!

This took several "layers" of paint and distressing

Have patience when paiting a piece like this!

You will gradually see it come to life!

Adding the water and sail boat in the distance

Close up of progress!

I'm not the neatest of painters...even though I have a very large paint table 
I sometimes "feel crowded"!

I am now adding the fence posts

Fence post added now adding the trees in the foreground

I added some extra trees as my design was so big

I even added a few hydrangea bushes as they are my favorite!

I changed the lettering

to say


SPIRIT OF SUMMER was a wonderful design to paint!
You can find more of 
Kim Hogues designs

Here is my finished piece in my dining room!

I hope you have enjoyed following along with me as I painted this piece!