Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Thyme to show you Crow's Nest Tavern Receipt Box


I have fallen behind in blogging about all the projects that I have been painting!
My desk is now cleared!
Today I want to tell you about a project 
called
Crow's Nest Tavern Receipt Box.
Design by
Cynthia Erekson.

Please join me to see how you can transform an ordinary wood box
 into something very unique using simple woodgraining techniques.





My Palette

Camel , Antique Green, Dried Basil Green, Milk Chocolate, Lamp Black, Honey Brown, Dark Chocolate, Soft Black Antique Gold




Let's Paint!


I used a box which measured about 10" x 6" x 4"
You can adjust the pattern to fit any surface!


I began by sealing the box inside and out
 with 

After your sealer has dried sand lightly and wipe off any dust with a paper towel.



I base coated all outer surfaces of the box and lid with Camel.

I loaded the broad flat side of a 2" sponge brush with a good amount of paint.
I began in the center of each section of the box
 and
 repeatedly used a "press" and "lift" motion to create a textured surface. 



I painted the inside of the box and lid with Antique Green.


I taped off the top of the box
 leaving a rectangle area about 6 1/2" x 2 1/2" exposed 
in the center of the cover.

I then mixed a wood graining glaze.
I began by squirting a quarter size puddle
 of 
Milk Chocolate
in the center of my palette.
Around that puddle I carefully squirted
 4 quarter size puddles 
of 

The puddles must be the same size as the Milk Chocolate puddle! 
Measure carefully!

I then added 2 quarter size puddles of Easy Float

I mixed this all together with a palette knife.



I loaded the flat side of a sponge brush 
and 
again used a "press" and "lift" motion
 to apply a bubbly coat of glaze to the center of the lid.


I then used a graining tool and pulled it through the glaze mix on the box cover.



I repeated the "graining" on the 2 sides and back of the box. 
The front of the box is where we will paint the design.

You must allow the graining to dry completely!


I then added the borders on the box 
by carefully removing the tape I had applied.
I used a stencil brush 
to pounce on 2 coats of Dark Chocolate 
into the 1" border.
Make sure your brush is DRY 
to avoid seepage of paint
 under your taped edges.
I then removed the 1/4" tape 
and 
used a dry stencil brush loaded 
with 
Antique Green 
to pounce the next border.


I painted the rope with Dark Chocolate. 
I highlighted with Camel 
and 
added the line detail with Lamp Black.

I shaded around all the edges 
of the of each side of the box
  (front, sides, and back) 
using 
Dark Chocolate
on a dry stencil brush.
I repeated using Lamp Black.


I transferred the design to the front of the box adding details as needed.


The details have all been painted.
I love the muted colors of this box.


I applied several coats of 
using a sponge.
Let the varnish dry completely between coats!

I have a selection of sponges in the the STUDIO like those shown above.
I use the round flat ones to apply varnish.
The Soft Touch Varnish will give your project a wonderful matte finish with no streaks!



I attached hardware to the cover of my box.


My completed project.


Rosemary Reynolds and DecoArt 
provided me with the paints 
and products to complete this project as part of their
Helping Artist
and 
Blogger Outreach Programs



THANK YOU DecoArt!



I hope you have enjoyed watching me paint this
Crow's Nest Tavern Receipt Box.


Happy Painting!
Lynn


1 comment:

  1. Oh, Lynn! You are such an incredible painter and inspiration! I so love seeing your posts and thank you for taking the time to show your techniques! Beautiful job and lovely painting! <3

    ReplyDelete

Keep those brushes flying!
Lynn Barbadora @ Painting Thyme Needfuls

"Life is a great BIG canvas and you should throw all the paint you can on it!"
~ Danny Kaye

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...