Monday, March 14, 2016

Thyme to paint Needlework Nellie

Today 
I wanted to show you a design 
by 
Cynthia Erekson
that I recently painted 
called
NEEDLEWORK NELLIE


This design measures 
18" x 23"
and
 was painted on a masonite board



Step inside my STUDIO and lets get started!




My Palette


Antique Gold, Antique Maroon, Antique Teal, Raw Sienna, Camel, Colonial Green, Desert Sand, Deep Burgundy, Burnt Umber, Shading Flesh, Lamp Black, Medium Flesh, Black Green, Sand, Cocoa



Surface Preparation






I used a sponge brush to apply 
to my board


I applied 2 coats of GESSO
When dry, I sanded then wiped dust with a damp paper towel



I base coated my panel with a mix of Camel plus Cocoa
When dry I sanded lightly and removed dust
I then thinned 
some 
Raw Sienna
to a "wash" consistency
I used a sponge brush to quickly apply the wash to my panel


I then scrunched up a rag 
and 
patted it all over the wet surface

The result was a slightly mottled background


I then transferred the pattern
 for the floor 
onto my surface


I dry brushed the floor area


I used a stencil to add the "wallpaper" details
After finishing the wallpaper 
I heavily spattered my surface 
with
Burnt Umber

* Tip for spattering!
Dip the bristle tips of a large stencil brush into water
Circle wet brush in a dime-size puddle 
of Burnt Umber 
to thin the paint to the correct consistency 
for spattering
Hold the brush over the project
 and 
pull some bristles towards you, 
with pressure, using the palette knife
Let dry


The surface is now ready to transfer the main design elements


Base coat the dress Antique Teal


Shading the dress


I have completed
 the 
shading and highlighting 
on the dress

I am now transferring the remaining details of the design


I have now
  base coated
the
 head, neck, arms and hair


I have painted the shoes, socks, necklace
I have begun adding highlights to the hair


I have painted the piece 
of 
needlework 
in 
Nellie's hand

I have also painted the trim 
on the 
neckline and sleeves
 of 
dress


Close up of Nellie so far


Ready to varnish


I used several coats 
of


I will now show you how I 
faux finished 
the frame
I brushed on a coat 

of 

After sanding I used a sponge brush 
to 
"press and lift"
 a coat of Camel on the frame
When dry I repeated with another coat of Camel



I used an awl to punch groupings 
of
 "worm holes" 
on a few areas of the frame
I added some long scratches in the paint
I also added some "ding and dents" to the frame with a hammer



Next I mixed a graining glaze on my palette

This consisted of 7 quarter size puddles 
of 
and
 a quarter size puddle 
of 
Burnt Umber

I used a sponge brush
 to
 "press and lift" 
a bubbly coat 
of
 glaze mixture onto the frame


I then used an overgrainer 
for
 the faux finish
I lightly pulled the bristles through the glaze
 making 
elongated "S" shapes in the glaze



I then painted all 4 frame corners Black Green
        

I used a medium stencil brush
 to
 pounce Black Green 
onto the 
narrow edges of the frame
(inner opening and outer edges)


I used a rasp
to wear off some paint 
along 
some outer edges and corners



I added some water 
to 
Honey Stain
and
 used this mixture to age the frame
I let the frame dry completely
 then finished it
 with
 several coats
 of 
Dura Clear Ultra Matte Varnish


I hung my primitive portrait in the alcove 
at the top of my stairs 
where my sewing machine is

DecoArt provided me with the paints 
to 
complete complete this project
 as part of their 
Helping Artist and Blogger Outreach Programs




Thank you DecoArt!




I hope you have enjoyed watching me paint

NEEDLEWORK NELLIE

Happy Painting!
Lynn





2 comments:

Keep those brushes flying!
Lynn Barbadora @ Painting Thyme Needfuls

"Life is a great BIG canvas and you should throw all the paint you can on it!"
~ Danny Kaye