Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Thyme to show you a trash to treasure cabinet.




I love trash to treasure projects!
Today I want to show you cabinet that I originally found on FB Marketplace for FREE.
Follow along with me as I paint this cabinet.



Let's step inside my STUDIO!



This cabinet was an old TV/ media cabinet. 
I removed the wiring. The cabinet had a shiny veneer finish.
I first sanded it lightly then I painted it with 2 coats of primer. 
I let the primer dry 24 hours between coats.


I first painted the cabinet using a custom mix 
of 
RUST-OLEUM Chalked Deep Navy





I allowed 24 hours dry time and then painted the cabinet using RUST-OLEUM Serenity Blue.
I allowed some of the Deep Navy to show through.


I primed the doors in the same manner as the cabinet. 
I painted them with the Deep Navy.


I painted the inner surface over the Deep Navy with the Serenity Blue 
leaving some of the base color showing.

I later changed my mind on this as you will see later!



I used
  DecoArt Americana 
paints to paint my design.


Thank you DecoArt for providing the paints to complete this design!


I started by painting a wash of Deep Midnight Blue walking the color upwards. 
I used my Jack Richeson Sash Brush 
to mop the wet edge of the Deep Midnight Blue 
to blend with the base color.
I repeated the wash several times to achieve the depth of color I wanted. 


I then added a wash 
of 
Plantation Pine over the Deep Midnight Blue wash.
I mopped as I went along.
The last wash I did was using Cool White to form the top of the waves.
I kept my surface very wet and used my mop.



I went back using my mop and added some brighter spots of Cool White.


I penciled in my details.



I painted the second door in the same manner as the first.


Planning the placement of details door 1



Planning the placement of details on door 2.


I painted my whale using Cool White. 
I kept the whale very transparent so he appears to be under water. 



Close up of whale.


I added a very light wash of 
Plantation Pine 
over the whale
to set him in the water. 
I kept my values  light and transparent


Planning the placement of the ship. 
I used vellum for my line drawings so I can see the underneath surface for placement. 


I am satisfied with placement of ship.



I transferred my ship using graphite paper.



Painting the ship.


Ship is almost done!



I used a rope stencil along the edges of the door. 
You will later see I removed it. 
Sometimes the "vision" you have in your head does not work!


Design with the rope stencil.


Painting the details on the second door.



I completed the ship on the first door.


I painted the details on the second door. 
I did repeat washes of Plantation Pine to give an underwater appearance.


I added a whale tail, a school of small fish and a hint of an octopus .


I added some additional highlights and shading  to my sea creatures.


With or without the ROPE stencil?



I was beginning to think that the rope stencil took away from the painting. 


I decided to add it anyway so I could decide.
It's only paint right?
You can always paint over it!


Close up of rope.
 


I decided to let the cabinet sit a few days and look at it to decide on the rope stencil. 


 

I worked on the inside shelves.
I used an Americana Decor Stencil 
called
Fish Tail


After looking at the cabinet for a few days I made additional changes!!!


I painted over the cabinet 
using the
  Serenity Blue leaving some of the Deep Navy
showing through.
I gave the cabinet a distressed look with some light sanding.
 

I was FINALLY happy with the end result!



The cabinet was a great addition to my sunroom for storage. 





I hope you have enjoyed watching me transform this cabinet!

Happy Painting!
Lynn






1 comment:

Keep those brushes flying!
Lynn Barbadora @ Painting Thyme Needfuls

"Life is a great BIG canvas and you should throw all the paint you can on it!"
~ Danny Kaye

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...