I have gotten a little behind on my blogging!
Today I wanted to show you a project that I completed for
Chestnut Ridge Rope Bed.
If you know a little girl
have grand daughters
who love dolls
then this is a project you must try!
I also painted a couple small dressers to complete this project.
Lets step inside the STUDIO !
Sand, Traditional Raw Umber, Wedgewood Blue, Rookwood Red, Blue Haze, Milk Chocolate, Deep Burgundy
I used Wood Filler to fill any nail holes
I then sanded my pieces and removed the dust with a damp paper towel.
I mixed Multi Purpose Sealer (1) : (1) with Rookwood Red
I applied one coat of the sealer mixed with paint to all the surfaces with a brush.
I let the paint dry well then applied a second coat of just Rookwood Red to all my surfaces.
I often use a blow dryer to speed up drying times.
I then transferred the oval design to the inside of the headboard.
I painted inside the oval area with Sand leaving it slightly mottled.
Once the oval area was dry I transferred the horizon line on.
I shaded around the oval with Wedgewood Blue plus Blue Haze.
I pulled the shading towards the center of the sky.
I painted the ground area a streaky Milk Chocolate.
I shaded the ground area with Traditional Raw Umber.
I transferred the remainder of the design onto the oval
onto the outside of the footboard.
Working on the headboard.
I stenciled a doily to the top of each of the bureaus
6" x 8"
I had to adjust the stencil some to fit the bureau tops.
dresser and bed
I have completed the the path and large flower,
I am now working on
other small details
including the berries and leaves on the outer edge of the design.
I am working on the vines and berries on the outer edges of the design.
I have also added the foliage to the tress.
I have a variety of sponges in the STUDIO which are great for tree foliage.
I used a dampened silk sponge for the tree foliage on the bed.
I dampen my sponge and squeeze out the excess water.
I then dipped the sponge in Milk Chocolate.
I pounce the sponge several times on my palette to work the paint into the sponge.
I then tap sponge on surface to create distinct but light and airy foliage.
Touch down only ONCE so as not to "muddy" up your foliage!
I dampened a paper towel and dipped it in a bit of Milk Chocolate.
I worked the paint into the towel by pressing it on the palette several times.
I then scrunched the towel and pressed it lightly onto the sky to add mottled color here and there.
The effect should look "tea stained".
Let dry completely.
I sanded areas of the beds and dressers to give them an aged look.
I applied several coats of Dura Clear Ultra Matte Varnish
I let the pieces dry completely for a few days before proceeding.
I used awl to clear any debris from all the holes in the bed
to enlarge them.
I began by cutting a 4 1/2 yd. piece of jute.
I then began stringing the jute through the holes to create the rope bed.
The stringing of the bed was a somewhat tedious task.......but wait until you see the end result!
The first bed is strung!
I had some old curtains that had faded.
I was no longer going to use them.
I saved them as they come in handy for projects like this!
Talk about a perfect match of color!
I cut out 2 mattress's and 2 quilts.
A stitch in thyme!
Just before Christmas Time!
provided me with the paints and products
to complete this project as part of their
Helping Artist and Blogger Outreach Programs.
Thank you DecoArt!
I hope you have enjoyed watching me create these
Chestnut Ridge Rope Beds
My grand Daughter Princess Natalie sure loved them!
Happy Painting !