Sunday, December 17, 2017

Thyme to show you a Greenskeeper Box


Are you ready for Christmas yet?




The MAGIC continues to happen here.....




Let's step inside my STUDIO to see what I have been painting!


I see my 
Christmas Elf 
HINKLEY 
is 
waiting for us!

Today I wanted to show you a project
 called 
Greenskeeper Box
Design
 by 
Cynthia Erekson

My Palette

Antique Maroon, Camel, Heritage Brick, Milk Chocolate, Traditional Raw Umber, Avocado Dip, Cocoa, Lamp Black , Red Iron Oxide, Burnt Umber, Dusty Rose, Light Avocado, Sand

Venetian Gold



Let's Paint!

My surface
 was a 
Pine "Greenskeeper" Box
that measured 14 1/2" x 5 1/4" x 4"



Often times when I base coat a piece I combine Multi Purpose Sealer (1) : (1) with my base color.
My base color for this project was Traditional Burnt Umber.


I used a sponge brush
with a 
"press and lift" motion
 to base coat the bottom (outside),
 sides and back
 with Traditional Raw Umber
to create a textured surface.

I repeated the "press and lift" motion to base coat the front of the box with Cocoa


Next I mixed a woodgraining glaze.
 I began by squirting a quarter size puddle of Milk Chocolate on my palette.
Then in a circle around this puddle I squirted
 6 quarter size puddles
of 
Clear Glazing Medium 
on my palette.

I mixed this well with my palette knife.





I wood grained the back and both sides of the box.
 I did one side at a time.
I applied the glaze with a sponge brush.
I then pulled my graining tool thru the glaze.


Let box dry completely before proceeding.
When the glaze is almost dry you can use a hair dryer to speed the process!


I measured in 1 1/2" from each side.
I drew a vertical line down each side of the box.
I pressed painters tape onto the box leaving the 1 1/2" spaces exposed.
I then loaded a stencil brush with Milk Chocolate.
I scrubbed my brush on a paper towel to remove excess paint.
I pounced the dry brush onto the side borders.
I left the color somewhat mottled.


I traced my pattern and transferred the ground area.



I used the chisel edge of a Moon Brush to establish the hill top.
To do this I loaded my brush with Sand. 
I wiped my brush on a paper towel until almost dry.
I then scrubbed the brush across the hilltop, 
to deposit faint color 
that just "sits" on top of the textured base coat.
I again loaded the brush with Sand
and 
scrubbed it on a paper towel until almost dry.
I wiped the brush side to side on my surface to apply a faint " snowy" ground.
I used the same stencil brush loaded with thinned Sand paint for spattering.
To spatter hold loaded brush over area to be spattered.
Use palette knife to flick the bristles by pulling the knife towards you.
I spattered the ground and the 2 outer Milk Chocolate borders.



Working on coat of Greenskeeper.
The coat is highlighted using Venetian Gold.


Painting trim on coat and hat using a Silver Micro Mini Lettering Brush.




I have painted the trees.
I am now working on the face and beard.


I am now working on the buildings.
I base coated first with one coat of Red Iron Oxide. 
I let that dry they added a second coat with Heritage Brick.


I do most of my base coating and shading using Lowell Cornell Ultra Rounds.
I use Maxine Mops to dry and soften floats.


The roofs of the buildings are done. 
I am now working on the trees.


I have painted the sheep.


I have added all the small details and line work.
I added the snow mounds on the ground by tapping on Sand with my Moon Brush.
I used a Texture - It Brush loaded with Sand to add the foliage to the tree branches.


I used a stencil to add the fern vines to the sides.


I used my Stain-It Brush to dry brush Traditional Raw Umber around the edges of the box.


I used my stylus to add the snow in the sky and any additional dots.


I varnished my box with several coats of Dura Clear Ultra Matte Varnish.


I filled the box with a mix
 of 
artificial greens , pine cones, berries
 and 
tiny battery operated white lights.

Rosemary Reynolds and DecoArt 
provided me with the paints and products to complete this project 
as part of their
 Helping Artist and Blogger Outreach programs

Thank you DecoArt!





I hope you have enjoyed watching me paint 
Greenskeeper Box




Happy Painting!

Lynn



6 comments:

  1. Love this! Always enjoy seeing what you are up to. Where can I get the brushes other than Maxine's mops and Loew Cornell?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this! Always enjoy seeing what you are up to. Where can I get the brushes other than Maxine's mops and Loew Cornell?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Buonasera Lynn,
    Complimenti per tutte le vostre pitture country...sono una piu' bella dell'altra!!!
    Buon Natale e Buone Feste!
    Carmen...Milano...Italia

    ReplyDelete

Keep those brushes flying!
Lynn Barbadora @ Painting Thyme Needfuls

"Life is a great BIG canvas and you should throw all the paint you can on it!"
~ Danny Kaye

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...