so that means late nights in the
MAKE THE MAGIC HAPPEN!
Lets step in out of the cold to see what I have been painting!
I am painting a project
Large Time Piece Wood Kit
for this project.
You can purchase the kit
Antique Gold, Antique White, Burnt Umber, Buttermilk, Cool White, Country Red, Flesh tone, Lamp Black, Plantation Pine, Rookwood Red
I had to enlarge my design and adjust it a bit to fit my surface.
Main elements of design transferred to surface.
The surface was base coated with 2 coats of Antique White.
I washed the border around the design with Antique Gold.
Santa's face is washed with Fleshtone.
I mopped the area to blend and dry.
Burnt Umber up along the outside of nose
up and over to form the eye area.
I use a variety of Lowell Cornell Ultra Round brushes for the "washes".
I use "duster stippler's " for mopping.
I added a touch of Lamp Black to imply each eye.
Next I added a dot using Cool White to the eyes.
I used Burnt Umber to float around his mustache.
I dragged some of the Burnt Umber float down onto Santa's beard.
I mop often to soften the floats.
I added a wash of Country Red to the cheeks.
I did a wash of Rookwood Red on the hat and shoulders.
I use a "Maxine Mop" and my Ultra Rounds for smaller areas.
After the Rookwood Red wash was dry I added a wash of Country Red over it.
I used a #6 scumbler to heavily stipple Buttermilk to the fur areas and pompom.
The stipple should extend slightly over the edges to appear "fuzzy".
I used a #2 Ultra Round to add some tiny white fur lines with Cool White.
I washed some Antique Gold here and there on the fur to add warmth.
I floated around the pompom and other areas with that need to stand out with Burnt Umber.
I love painting beards!
I use a Silver Micron Mini Brush.
I have a variety of Micron Mini brushes for fine detail work.
Working on the beard.
Close up of the beard.
I also used my detail brush to pull some tiny fur hairs out on to the jacket.
I am now working on Santa's mustache.
Once the beard was completed I transferred the holly vine.
Painting the holly vine and berries.
Such a handsome jolly fellow!
The background is striped first with a double row of Plantation Pine.
I then added a single Rookwood stripe between the green stripes.
The "insert" piece is done for now.
I transferred the Roman Numerals to the outer edge and painted them Lamp Black.
Roman Numerals completed.
I will now add some antiquing to the outer edge for a vintage look.
I loaded my Stain It Brush with Burnt Umber.
I wiped it on my paper towel until it was very dry.
I randomly brushed around the inner and outer edges of the surface.
You should not see "wet paint".
Be sure your brush is "DRY".
Moon Brushes are also good for dry brushing.
Inner and outer surfaces are antiqued.
I used a large stencil brush with my palette knife to spatter the outer ring with Lamp Black.
Inner surface and middle outer ring complete.
There is one more ring to complete!
I base coated this ring with Rookwood Red leaving a band of Buttermilk.
I added checks all around the inside of the ring with Lamp Black.
I used my Moon Brush to dry brush the outer area of the checks with Lamp Black.
I varnished all pieces with several coats of
I used wood glue to carefully glue each section together.
I used a pocket watch chain to attach the fob.
Rosemary Reynolds and DecoArt
provided the paints for me to complete this project as part of their
Blogger Outreach Programs.
Thank you DecoArt!
I hope you have enjoyed watching me paint