Thursday, August 10, 2017

It's thyme to show you an Americana Folk Art Pull Toy


Today I wanted to show you a project
 called
Yankee Doodlefish

The design for this project 
is by 
Cynthia Erekson



I was excited to paint this project because it is a
companion project 
to 
a couple of previous projects I have painted 



You can read about
Yankee Fisherboy Primitive Portrait



You can read about 
Glouster Goose Girl




Lets head into the STUDIO to see what I have been working on!


My Palette


Jade Green, Moon Yellow, Traditional Burnt Umber, White Wash, Deep Burgundy, Honey Brown, Lamp Black, Antique Green, Deep Midnight Blue, Bleached Sand, Heritage Brick, Blue Mist, Traditional Raw Sienna




Let's paint!


I began by removing the rope from the fish.
I used
to fill the holes that were drilled in the fish for eyes.


I let the filler dry then lightly sanded the eye area.

I used a clean soft cloth to apply 
to all pieces of the pull toy. 



I applied a second coat of Gel Stain once the first coat had dried.



I then squirted a large puddle of Jade Green on my palette.

I used the broad flat side of my sponge brush to press a heavy coat of paint onto the fish.



( I removed the wheels and set them aside)



Press the entire flat side of the brush repeatedly onto the fish to create bubbles and texture.
Let one side dry then repeat on opposite side and edges.




I painted the wheels with Deep Midnight Blue.
The centers and dowel ends were painted with Deep Burgundy.


I let my fish dry completely before distressing it.
I used an awl and rasp for distressing.
When distressing avoid the design area!

I filed some areas on the tail, around the mouth, and along the top of the fish with the rasp.
Distress some areas down to the stain and some to the bare wood.
I used the flat edge of the rasp to dent the fish along the top, sides of mouth and tail.
I used the corner of the rasp to create some dings.
The glaze I did in the next step collects in the dings and dents you create to help age the fish.


I mixed a glaze 
using
and 
Burnt Umber (8:1)




I used a soft cloth to wipe the glaze mixture over the fish. 
I made sure to get it in all the dents and dings I had created when I distressed the fish.

I let the glaze dry completely on the fish.
Next I poured some Lamp Black on my palette.
I dipped a stencil brush in the Lamp Black ,
 circled it on my palette,
then repeatedly on a paper towel
to dry off most of the paint.
I used this "dry brush" to scrub around the edges
of the fish 
to 
darken and age the piece.


I transferred the main elements of the design to the fish and began painting.
I began by first establishing the horizon line and background.
I like to use Silver Micron Mini Brushes for small detail painting.


I then began shading and adding all the small details 
which included the buildings, roofs, tree and sails.


Once the detail work was completed I painted the line work .
This included the fences, sail detail, lines on doors and windows, chimney smoke.
I added the comma strokes around design.


I used a scruffy brush to tap in foliage.
I add dots with stylus and end of the brush last!
Make sure they dry well before the next step.


Next I painted the wood flag.



I then spattered the flag on the dowel with Tradtional Burnt Umber.
I spattered the fish with Lamp Black.


*To easily spatter dip the bristle tips of a large stencil brush in water and then mix into about a dime size puddle of paint. Hold the brush over your piece and pull some bristles towards you with your palette knife to spatter lightly.


I used two coats of Dura Clear Matte Varnish on the fish and the flag.
Let dry completely between coats!


I attached the rope and wood ball to the fish.
I used
 to 
add the
  wheels and flag
to the 
fish pull toy.




Rosemary Reynolds and DecoArt 
provided me with the paints and supplies to complete this project as part of their
Helping Artist and Blogger Outreach Programs.


Thank you DecoArt!








I hope you have enjoyed watching me paint 
my 
Yankee Doodlefish Project!


Happy Painting until next thyme!

Lynn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep those brushes flying!
Lynn Barbadora @ Painting Thyme Needfuls

"Life is a great BIG canvas and you should throw all the paint you can on it!"
~ Danny Kaye

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...