Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Are you "GEARING UP " FOR CHRISTMAS?


The 
MAGIC 
of
CHRISTMAS 
is 
beginning to happen in
 my
STUDIO


Step inside and see!


Today I want to show you a design
by
Cynthia Erekson
that I have completed 
called 
Paint Nick
This is one of two Santa's that are in her new
pattern packet 
called
"Gearing Up" for Christmas
part of her 
Reflections of the Past
series


My Pallette for this design 
was

Antique Gold, Antique Rose, Antique Teal, Arbor Green, Bleached Sand, Buttermilk, Camel, Cherry Red, Dusty Rose, Heritage Brick, Lamp Black , Milk Chocolate, Red Iron Oxide, Sea Glass, Shading Flesh, Snow White,Yellow Ochre

Other supplies:
Dazzling Metallic Emperor's Gold, Deco Art Acrylic GESSO , Americana MATTE Spray Acrylic Sealer/ Finisher, Americana Dura Clear Matte Varnish



This piece was painted 
on
canvas


I prepared my surface by basecoating it 
with 2 SMOOTH coats of 




I let that dry thoroughly between coats.
When dry I sanded lightly and wiped with a damp paper towel 
to remove any dust


My surface is prepared! Now for the FUN part!
Let's paint!

I base coated my surface with Arbor Green then heavily spattered it with 
Sea Glass
to 
give Santa's coat
 a 
"wool " look.


I then used graphite paper to transfer the main pattern lines


The "Paint Nick" kit 
came with all the embellishments
 to 
complete this project


Working on Santa's face
It is always fun to see a piece come to life!




I love this Santa's gentle face!


Working on the tiny pallette and brush embellisments



Adding detail
 to 
Santa's coat and hat
The backside of this surface is painted 
with 
Dazzling Metallic Emperor's Gold


I sprayed my Santa with several 
It is always best to spray 
OVER 
your piece 
and 
let the mist fall on it 
rather than spray ON your piece!

I used 
Americana Dura Clear Matte Varnish 
on the small embellishments




Use a good strong glue such as
 Arlene's Thick Designer Tacky Glue 
in a jar
or 
Quick Dry Tacky
to glue your Santa together.
I used elastics to hold it together as the glue dried
I left it over night
so I was sure that it had completely dried


Adding the remaining embellishments



 Close-up of face detail

Paint Nick 
is
now ready to hang on the tree!




I hope you have enjoyed watching me paint this piece!



DecoArt provided me with the paints and supplies to complete this project as part of their
Blogger Outreach and Helping Artist Programs
Thank you DecoArt for the opportunity to work with your wonderful products!

You can read my Deco Art Blogger Profile

HERE

Keep those brushes flying!
Happy Painting!
Lynn

"Each day is a new canvas to paint upon.
Make sure your picture is full of life and happiness,
and
at the end of the day you don't look at it
and
wish you had painted something different."
 ~Author Unknown

2 comments:

  1. I really like how that is done on the canvas and you do such a beautiful job with your painting.
    It has been years since i did any real tole painting and i was never the best at detail.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to be an awesome keepsake !

    ReplyDelete

Keep those brushes flying!
Lynn Barbadora @ Painting Thyme Needfuls

"Life is a great BIG canvas and you should throw all the paint you can on it!"
~ Danny Kaye

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...