Friday, February 25, 2011

Thyme to show you a primitive fireplace screen

Did you know that the 
PINEAPPLE

has served as a symbol of 
HOSPITALITY
AND
WARM WELCOME
throught the
history of the 
Americas?

I designed and cut out
this
Primitive Fireplace Screen


I added a pineapple
using
a template I had drawn


I base coated the pineapple using 
Antique Gold


adding the greens



Shading the pineapple greens


fine sand between coats for a smooth finish


adding the lines and dots


I heavily sand around  the edges for a prim look
I antique using
Olde Century Gel Stains

A little history of how the pineapple
became a symbol of hospitality
" This symbolism has a lengthy history beginning when
 Christopher Columbus and his men landed on the island now known as
Guadeloupe on their second voyage of discovery.
In 1493, Christopher Columbus brought the fruit back to Europe
from his voyage through the Carib Islands.
This tropical king of fruits was crowned the "pineapple"
 by the English because of its resemblance
to a pine cone and its juicy center, which reminded them of an apple."
Happy Painting!

Lynn

5 comments:

  1. Cute idea Lynn.. we have a fireplace front at the store and I have been wondering what I could do to dress it up.. thanks for the idea!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful idea and motif for a screen.
    I need a fireplace.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it. And i have appreciated the history.
    Stefy
    http://ilcastelloincantatato.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! It looks wonderful! I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ~Dan~

    ReplyDelete

Keep those brushes flying!
Lynn Barbadora @ Painting Thyme Needfuls

"Life is a great BIG canvas and you should throw all the paint you can on it!"
~ Danny Kaye

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...