Sunday, November 29, 2009

Gingerbread thyme

I just
LOVE
GINGERBREAD


This is such a busy thyme of year
in addition to painting and decorating
I've been making gingerbread ornaments


I've been rolling out gingerbread dough
this is a
VERY easy
dough to work with


here they are cooling on the rack



These little guys are soooooooo CUTE!



Here they are hanging out...I let them dry for several days....


I varnished them with a matte varnish
then
I added red homespun to hang them
I found some old wooden spoons
at
a thrift shop
I wired the ornaments to the spoon
and
added a coffee stained /vanilla scented tag
that says
GINGERBREAD
Happiness is licking the spoon


I took an old brown bottle and printed out a label that says
SANTA'S STOMACH REMEMDY
for use after excessive cookie consumption
I added some stained cheese cloth
and
pinned a rusty bell on
I have to thank Jan
at
for the
AWESOME
Christmas labels





I also hung some gingerbreads on
my wooden Christmas Tree


My husband is making some of these trees for me for gifts



These were so much fun to make!


Ornamental Gingerbread Dough

3 T shortening

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup molasses

1 tsp. baking soda

3/4 cup water

3 1/2 cups flour

1 tsp. each: ground cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg



Beat shortening and sugar together until light and fluffy. Stir in molasses. Mix dry ingredients together. Stir them into sugar mixture and gradually add water. Dough will be very stiff. Refrigerate overnight.



Heat oven to 350ยบ. Cut dough into three pieces. Roll one piece at a time (between two pieces of waxed paper) to a thickness of about 1/4 ". Cut out desired shapes and patterns. {*** If you are planning to hang these ornaments, poke holes in the shapes now with a straw or toothpick.***} Bake for about 20 minutes. Allow to cool and harden for several hours or overnight.



Finished ornaments can be painted, sealed, or dipped in melted wax. The possibilities are endless...


Happy Painting!
Lynn


9 comments:

  1. Hi Lynn...
    Okay girlfriend. I have got to know, are one of those trees being made for this desert gal? Ha! Ha! Ha!

    Oh sweetie. I love these gingerbread ornaments they are so darn cute. I am going to try my hand at these and see what I can make. I love the way you wired them onto a spoon, and I was thinking a little wire wisk would also be very cute to tie them to. How sweet they are.

    I see you made a little hang tag for them. I haven't gotten the mix down as of yet on those darn hang tags, but I keep working on it. How in the heck do you get the scent on them?

    Thanks for sharing. As always I so love to come over and see what you are up to for the evening. You are a doll. Country hugs...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lynn...those gingerbread men are just way too cute! They made me hungry...they look good enough to eat! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. I'd love having a bunch of those hanging around the house! ~~Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn you outdo yourself! I'm going to give the recipe to my daughter Ashley and see if she'll make some with Abbey, love them wired to the wooden spoons. BUT THAT HEADER!!! What a great Santa!!! Thanks for sharing, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful display with the gingerbread. Love our rooster sign, is that something you made? I have been collecting pictures of antique signs and will make some after the holidays.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynn,
    I just loveeee those gingers ! Love visitin' your blog. I always find inspiration here.
    Prim Huggs n Blessins
    TJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your gingers turned out beautifully, Lynn! I'm so glad you were able to put my recipe to such good use.

    I mixed up a batch today so that I can do some ginger baking tomorrow.

    Your blog is wonderful! And it's always neat to discover someone from MA. I grew up in Athol and have lived here in Maine since college.

    Happy Christmastime...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Lynn! I'm delighted to hear that you are having fun with the labels, and I so appreciate your blogging about it. I love your photos, just wonderful gingerbread guys, and your display is very inspiring. And what a great idea to use the old wooden spoons!

    Happy Holidays!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lynn....i just love all of those gingers!!!! My main hallway in the apartment is gingers and my hutch is filled with them. I'm going to try out that recipe next weekend and make up a batch for my christmas family get together.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there! I love your darling gingermen, and they look so happy on your wooden tree:)

    ReplyDelete

Keep those brushes flying!
Lynn Barbadora @ Painting Thyme Needfuls

"Life is a great BIG canvas and you should throw all the paint you can on it!"
~ Danny Kaye

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...